Thursday, September 14, 2017

Talipes resulting from Panhypoptiuitarism

I was born with Talipes Equinovarus, also known as Club Feet. This is a condition that stemmed from my primary condition of Panhypopituitarism  and Growth Hormone Insufficiency.  

So what is Talipes?

"In clubfoot, the tendons on the inside of the leg are shortened, the bones have an unusual shape, and the Achilles tendon is tightened." (1) 

A good image showing before and after treatment can be seen below:




Recently I was on Instagram and saw the image by @_kursti of a child wearing a 'boots and bar' apparatus similar to the one I had to straighten the toddler's feet into the correct position.  It didn't work so I underwent invasive surgery. 






I remember feeling frustrated that I had to sit in the one position and it made it difficult to move around. My mum helped me by teaching me how to read by the age of 2 and I always had a book handy to take my mind off things. I am now sitting in one position for up to 18 hrs a day with my website and social media marketing company.

When the boots and bar and manipulations obviously were not working, the Orthopaedic Surgeon cut my tendons, lengthened the inside of the foot tendon and shortened the outside of the foot, in both feet. It didn't work very well and I kept tripping over as my toes would turn inwards. 

I am grateful for the lessons of tolerance and patience that it taught me. I had some amazing people in my life that went out of their way to increase my quality of life and extend upon my skills and talents. Today I wear Colorado boots which help to lock my weak ankles and allow me to walk up to 3km on level ground. I still experience pain and discomfort on a daily basis with poor circulation after my first operation where they cut my tendons and tried to make my feet turn outwards.

When I was 9 I had another operation, this time they broke some bones in my feet and chiseled bones then added a surgical staple in my calcanae which is still in operation today. It caused juvenile arthritis and cold weather made it worse. 

I know it was hard for my mother but she persisted with my physical therapy and despite doctors advice that I wouldn't walk until the age of three, she would strengthen my leg muscles and hold me up against the wall and build up my muscle until I not only walked developed calf muscles which was again contrary to doctor's opinion. 

My mum was determined that I would walk and I can never thank her enough for the fierce determination she showed as a mother of a baby with talipes equinovarus. I am grateful for that her every day.

Below is a photo of my feet, taken when I was at the Podiatrist's. 











In the photos you can see that I walk over my heel as it is malformed. I was supposed to have a heel operation in my late teens but since I was studying my degree I didn't want to take time off. I'm now 45 and suffer from weak ankles and jarring when I walk over my heel when not wearing Colorado boots done up tightly to lock the heel. They are very constrictive but I am so thankful for them. Most people don't notice my talipes. Some notice that one hip is higher than the other, though and my gait is a little lopsided. I am able to walk up to 3km on a good health day, which is amazing. I can't jump or run or hop or enjoy a trampolene but compared to what I was like when I was born and a toddler I am so thankful to my Orthopaedic Surgeons for what they did for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment